Monday, November 5, 2012

Transformation of the Month: Jim Roepcke

A new month, means a new success story to highlight. So many proud moments happening, people accomplishing some big goals, it's always inspiring to see. November's success story is the male winner of our last session. Jim lost an incredible 40.2 pounds in 12 weeks. Take a look at his before and after pictures.


And here is Jim's story..

What was your heaviest weight?
I was 349 in May 2005, and despite getting 308 in 2007, back to 346 on January 2nd, 2012, the day of my big gall bladder attack.

What is your current weight?
This morning (October 13) I weighed myself at 276.2, a new low. That's down 12.6 pounds from the end of the summer BW session.

What is your goal weight?
Currently 230, but when I get there I will reevaluate and maybe set a lower goal weight.

How long have you struggled with weight?
From the age of 11, but it wasn't serious (because I kept active to keep it under control) until I was out of high school and no longer as active. I gained 30 pounds in the first year after high school, and 20 more pounds in the 6 months that followed that. At that point, at the age of 20, I destroyed my knee in a stupid avoidable accident, and after that I put on even more weight, which I still haven't taken off.
I lost 50 pounds (from 320 to 270) in 2000, and then gained it all back and more from 2001 to 2005.


What made you decide to join BWs?
I knew that if I had an environment where I could work out in a group setting with people with similar challenges and goals as me, have support and accountability, that I would flourish. I wanted to join a year earlier, but other commitments, financial uncertainty and a gallbladder disease made it impossible. Things finally lined up in June 2012, and I was joined for the July-September session.

What is the biggest non physical change you notice?
I'm happier and more confident. I look back at the summer of 2012 as the very best time of my life.

What is the biggest physical change?
Biggest? There are so many, and I'm not sure how to order them. Obviously, I'm much smaller and fit smaller clothes, and not carrying around so much extra weight means my stamina and agility has improved when playing sports and during other kinds of activities. I'm significantly stronger.

How do you involve your family in your weight loss journey? are they supportive?
My wife Cheryl is incredibly supportive! She joined BW for the first month. She has her own weight loss goal, and she's nearly there! In fact she's at "The Drill" at BDHQ as I write this on a Saturday morning. I don't know how to cook, so I really wanted Cheryl to join with me so we'd be on the same page as far as the nutritional guidelines went.

My kids and the rest of my family have also been very supportive and encouraging. This helps more than I can say.

What is your proudest moment in the last twelve weeks?
Wearing clothes I bought for myself at the start of a vacation to San Francisco in June 2009 but was never able to wear because I gained 15 pounds there in 2 weeks. Now those clothes are too big for me too. Oh, and now that I've read Rebecca's interview, I now remember being incredibly proud that I lost 3.6 pounds over the week I worked in San Francisco in late July. Previously I'd never gained less than 10 pounds during a week in San Francisco.

What are your fitness goals?
I want to be able play tennis and squash like I could when I was a teenager without worrying about my knee. I want to be strong and fit enough to play goalie in hockey. I've promised myself goalie gear when I get to 230 if I still want to play goalie then.
Most of all I want to be fit for life and never ever go back to an unhealthy lifestyle.


What is the most important thing that you have learned?
The most important thing I learned in BW was goal setting. For the first time in my adult life I have realistic, achievable long term goals! After the first week, once I believed I could do it, I set a goal to be the Biggest Winner for the session, but I didn't share it. That goal drove me more than anything.

Thanks for sharing your story Jim, you look fantastic and are achieving some big goals. Very proud of everything you have accomplished.

1 comment:

michele said...

So very proud of your accomplishments Jim. Thanks for being part of the BDHQ family and making such a huge commitment to a healthy, fit life.